What are terpenes?
Terpenes are the primary components of the essential oils in many plants, flowers and fruit. They are attributed to each cannabis strain’s unique scent, flavor and experience. Linalool, for example, is the terpene that exists in abundance in lavender creating a relaxing experience.
Terpenes are found naturally in high concentrations in the cannabis plant. Each cannabis strain has a distinct blend of terpenes that offers a unique experience that includes scent and flavour. Terpenes are strong contributors to the restfulness of some strains and the invigorating nature of others. Some terpenes assist in the uptake or bioavailability of the cannabinoids existing in the body.
What are some specific terpenes?
- Associated with: sweet smell of wildflowers
- Found in: Lavender, laurel birch, rosewood
- Health Benefits: anti-anxiety, anti-epileptic and antidepressant
- Effects: calming, sedative, mood boosting
- Strains: Lavender, LA Confidential, Master Kush
- Associated with: lilac blossoms
- Found in: Lilacs, lime, and eucalyptus sap
- Health Benefits: antibiotic, anti inflammatory, antitumor
- Effects: Sedative
- Strains: Jack Herer, Girl Scout Cookies, OG Kush
- Associated with: classic cannabis pine aroma
- Found in: Pine, basil, parsley, dill
- Health Benefits: anti-inflammatory, improving memory, opens airways
- Effects: alertness
- Strains: Pineapple Express, ACDC, Grape Ape, Snoops Dream
- Associated with: pepper
- Found in: basil, oregano, pepper, and cinnamon
- Health Benefits: pain relief, anti-anxiety & anti-depressant
- Effects: pain relief
- Strains: Lavender, Candyland, Death Star
- Associated with: lilac blossoms
- Found in: Apples, Lilacs, Tea Tree
- Health Benefits: Anti-cancer, antifungal and antibacterial
- Effects: Sedative, relaxation
- Strains: Super Lemon Haze, Sour Tangie, and Shipwreck
- Associated with: Roses
- Found in: tobacco and lemon
- Health Benefits: mosquito repellent, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral
- Effects: anxiety relief, mood booster
- Strains: Lavender, Master Kush, Amnesia Haze
- Associated with: sweet and woody
- Found in: mint, parsley, pepper, basil, orchids and kumquats
- Health Benefits: Decongestant, antiviral, antibacterial
- Effects: energizing
- Strains: Strawberry Cough, Golden Goat, Space Queen
- Associated with: citrus
- Smells like: citrus
- Found in: Juniper, citrus rinds, mint
- Health Benefits: anti-anxiety & antidepressant
- Effects: Uplifting
- Strains: Liberty Haze, Cookies and Cream, Gorilla Glue 4
- Associated with: cannabis’ earthy scent
- Found in: hops and coriander
- Health Benefits: appetite suppressant & anti-inflammatory
- Effects: Appetite suppression
- Strains: Candyland, Death Star, Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies
- Associated with: musky earth
- Found in: mango, hops, thyme, citrus
- Health Benefits: Insomnia, anti-inflammatory, pain relief
- Effects: relaxation & sleep
- Strains: Jack Herer
Basics-Cannabis Plant & Your Body
Terms and concepts to help you better understand medical cannabis and how it affects both body and mind.
Cannabis Consumption & Products
Explore the various ways to consume medical cannabis & how Mountaintop’s products are made. Process matters.
Selecting and Navigating a Dispensary
Becoming a patient, preparing for dispensary visits and understanding cannabis packaging & lab tests.
Cannabis Community & Resources
Highlighting cannabis patient struggles & successes, addressing social stigmas and how cannabis affects our community.
Get updates on the latest products, insights and articles.